Work package III: Statistical Data Analysis
Objectives: Statistical data analysis of EPO data: Applicants and inventors of patents. Determination of the current state of female participation as inventors in European patent applications in the years 2002 – 2004.
1. Production of ESGI database
containing all patent applications with priority date 2002, 2003, 2004, applied at EPO (including EPO and PCT applications) which contain at least one inventor from EU 25.
Of those applications the following attributes are needed:
- first name, family name
- standard DocName (basis for sector assignment)
- IPC classification code of the patent
- patent family (Euro-PCT or European application)
- number of inventors
- first name (basis for sex-disaggregation), family name
2. Preparation of the database and sex-disaggregation of inventors
To distinguish the sex of the inventors a first name analysis preceded by database preparation is necessary. The first name analysis will be done with a first name database for six countries and with the help of native speakers for the other countries.
3. Data analysis
Statistical data analysis of the inventors: Total count, contribution and participation of female inventors regarding country of residence, patent category and type of applicant.
4. Work Report
The work report includes the analysis of statistics of female patentees in Europe.